Paris le Marais – The Paris Gay District
Although always considered exceptionally rude to foreigners, Paris is currently one of the top 3 travel destinations for gay couples in Europe. If you are going to see the renowned art and parks, you will find your visit is a most delightful one. If you have come to cruise the gay bars, be prepared for that stonewall kind of unfriendliness for which the normal French citizens are famous. Do not expect non-Parisian speaking French visitors to navigate well or find friends easily among the gay community. The only way around the ‘French problem’ is to hire a native escort.
If you come to Paris not only to visit the Louvre and other historic sights, but to dive into the gay Parisian life, then try to avoid the month of August. Most Parisians take their long vacations then. Many companies have to close completely due to heavy labor pressure to maintain the August holiday tradition. In the gay scene, even the most popular gay clubs and bars will not be very crowded. If you plan to visit with an escort, either make a long-term commitment, or use a service that has many escorts available to assure a smooth and pleasurable stay.
The map below shows the gay district of the city, Paris le Marais, and its many attractions:
- Les Bains Douches Club, 7 Rue du Bourg l’Abbé
- Sun City Sauna, 62 Boulevard de Sébastopol. Daily 12:00–06:00
- Le Dépôt Cruising, 10 Rue aux Ours. Daily 14:00–08:00
- Centre LGBT Paris Service, 63 Rue Beaubourg. Mon 18–20; Tue-Thu 15–20; Fri, Sat 12:30–20; Sun 16–19
- The Glove Fetish/Cruising, 34 Rue Charlot. Thu 17:00–02:00; Fri, Sat 23:00–05:00; Sun 17:00–23:00
- Duplex Bar, 25 Rue Michel Le Comte. Daily 20:00–02:00; Fri, Sat till 04:00
- L’Enchanteur Bar Bar, 15 Rue Michel Le Comte. Tue-Thu 17:00–02:00; Fri, Sat till 06:00
- Cud Bar, Club, 12 Rue des Haudriettes. Daily 23:00–06:00; Fri, Sat till 07:00
- Rex Shop, 42 Rue du Poitou. Mon-Sat 13:00–20:00
- MicMan Bar Bar, 24 Rue Geoffroy l’Angevin. Daily 12:00–02:00
- Le Scarron Bar, 3 Rue Geoffroy l’Angevin. Wed-Sun 22:00–06:00; Mon, Tue closed.
- Café Beaubourg Cafe, 43 Rue Saint-Merri. Daily 08:00–01:00
- Full Metal Fetish/Cruising, 40 Clos des Blancs-Manteaux. Daily 17:00–04:00, Fri, Sat till 06:00
- Secteur XCruising, 49 Clos des Blancs-Manteaux. Mon-Thu 17:00–04:00; Fri 17:00–06:00; Sat, Sun 15:00–20:00 + 20:00–05:00
- Ze Restoo Restaurant, 41 Clos des Blancs-Manteaux
- Curieux Spaghetti Bar Restaurant, 14 Rue Saint-Merri. Daily 12:00–02:00; Thu-Sat till 04:00
- Le Gai Moulin Paris Restaurant, 10 Rue Saint-Merri. Daily 12:00–24:00
- Bear’s Den Bar, 6 Rue des Lombards. Daily 16:00–02:00; Fri, Sat till 05:00
- Raidd Bar Bar, Club, 23 Rue du Temple. Daily 17:00–04:00; Fri, Sat till 05:00
- Starcooker²Restaurant, 32 Rue des Archives
- Freedj Bar, 35 Rue Sainte-Croix de la Bretonnerie. Daily 17:00–02:00; Fri, Sat till 04:00
- Open Café Cafe, Bar, 17 Rue des Archives. Daily 10:00–02:00; Fri, Sat till 04:00
- Menstore Sexshop, 8 Square Sainte-Croix de la Bretonnerie. Mon-Sat 11:30–19:30
- Mixer Bar Bar, 23 Rue Sainte-Croix de la Bretonnerie. Daily 18:00–02:00
- Cox Bar, 15 Rue des Archives. Daily 13:00–02:00
- IEM Le Marais Sexshop, 16 Rue Sainte-Croix de la Bretonnerie. Mon-Thu 13:00–20:00; Fri, Sat 13:00–21:00; Sun 14:00–20:00
- Le Yono Bar, 37 Rue Vieille du Temple. Tue-Sat 18:00–02:00; Sun 16:30–23:00
- Les Mots à la Bouche Shop, 6 Rue Sainte-Croix de la Bretonnerie. Mon-Sat 11:00–23:00; Sun 13:00–21:00
- Le Central Bar, 33 Rue Vieille du Temple. Mon-Fri 16:00–02:00; Sat, Sun 14:00–02:00
- Boyz Bazaar Shop, 5 Rue Sainte-Croix de la Bretonnerie. Mon-Thu 12:00–20:30; Fri, Sat 12:00–22:00; Sun 13:00–20:00
Marais, an old district in the 4th Arrondissement of Paris is the gay center of the city. It sports adorable, narrow streets which breathe centuries of old history. It is here that you will find the gay bars, cafes, and shops listed above. There are plenty of gay-friendly restaurants, most of them quite close to each other, creating a very competitive atmosphere. Here and there you will find the gay shops with everything from chic fashion garments to far-out fetish wear.
Gay Parisians can be a bit difficult when it comes to hooking up. If you dare to show your interest to somebody in a direct way, you could easily be seen as too horny, or as a too easy or cheap date. My advice is not to waste your time trying to understand a rude Frenchmen. They will only engage in flirting rituals if they think you are busy with someone else. You should either travel with a partner, or seek an escort.
You will find that Parisian guys come and stick in groups. Exploring the Paris gay district with your friends or a friendly local escort can really make a difference, both during the day or night. When you engage an escort, make plans in advance and be sure to make phone contact with him before you travel. By doing this, you should be assured that he will provide the local key that is necessary to open the wonders of gay Paris.